ABOUT THE PROGRAM
An important aspect of GVN’s mission includes training future virologists to meet the current, and future, need of highly qualified, well-trained virologists worldwide. Since late 2019, through the GVN Corporate Partnership program, Abbott and GVN have been working collaboratively to mitigate viral threats and subsequently the current pandemic. Last year, Abbott established the Pandemic Defense Coalition, the first-of-its-kind, industry-led, global scientific network dedicated to the early detection of, and rapid response to, future pandemic threats. The Coalition comprises 14 entities, including networks, governments, and public health organizations on five continents that are actively identifying, analyzing, tracking and testing viral threats.
In this context, GVN and Abbott launched The GVN – Abbott Pandemic Defense Postdoctoral Fellowship Program to nurture junior scientists in pursuing their careers in virology and to build global scientific network in response to the early detection and mitigation of future pandemic threats. The Fellowship supports one-year post-doctoral training fellowship for applicants with a MD, PhD, or DVM degree(s) with the potential to extend to a two-year program. This program ensures junior scientists receive elite training in the identification of unknown diseases through surveillance, viral genomic sequencing analysis and bioinformatics. It also helps build research capacity by enhancing participants’ research portfolio and creating and establishing connections with scientists from developing nations.
One-year, October 3, 2022 – September 29, 2023, with the potential to extend to a two-year term.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THIS PROGRAM?
- A junior or experienced post-doctoral researcher from the GVN Centers of Excellence and Affiliates, 0-5 years post-graduation with PhD degree
- Research interest and/or experience on infectious diseases, pathology, immunology, virology, vaccinology, genomics, or other related research areas
- Productive research experience with a substantive record of publications
- Candidates from developing nations are preferred
HOW TO APPLY
- Current CV with recent publications
- A cover letter summarizing research training and accomplishments
- A personal statement of scientific interests and goals
- Three references and three letters of recommendation (one from each reference)
July 15, 2022
Please submit all the required documentation in one package with subject line: Applicant’s First and Last Name GVN – Abbott Pandemic Defense Postdoctoral Fellowship Program and send to [email protected].
- Financial support for 1-year Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Program
- Financial support to attend GVN meetings and other related meetings
- If appropriate, each trainee will have the possibility to rotate at two designated GVN Centers of Excellence during their 2-year program
- Opportunity to train in grantsmanship
- Opportunity to identify research collaborators and strengthen research program and publications
- Networking with GVN industrial partners for further collaborations