University Queensland, Australia, Paul Young
Vaccine Animal Models
- CEPI Funded to accelerate the Clamp Trimer vaccine-modify S-protein.
- Attained immunization in mice studies, toxicity studies, and planned working with CSIRO-animal model
- 1,000 doses by end of June; GSK, Seqirus and Dynavax offered adjuvants for their Animal Models. Effort to expedite, ’emergency’ Phase-1 and Large-scale production
- Demonstrate regulatory Agencies Clamp Trimer does not enhance pulmonary disease in
- Non-human primate, (NHP) models. Dr. Albert Osterhaus to assist.
Matthew Frieman, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore
- nCoV and SARS viruses and other reagents currently available
- SARS, MERS and nCoV reverse genetic clones and human isolates
- Vaccines- working with Novavax on other vaccine platforms.
- BSL2 Coronaviruses (OC43, 229E)
- Rapid neutralizing antibody assays using micro neutralization
- Mammalian plasmids expression of SARS, MERS and nCoV (soon)
- Drug screening: several hundred FDA approved and novel compounds identified in collaboration with several companies and the Gates Foundation. Later, tested in our mouse model for efficacy.
- Mouse models for SARS, MERS and nCoV (in progress)
- Antibodies: We are working with Regeneron on their monoclonal antibody isolation and validation, and developing a mouse model for infection and protection assays.
- Generation of viruses and other reagents planned/ in progress. Infectious clones of nCoV with variants, deletions, reporter inserts. Infectious clone: JCVI collaborations on the creation of an infectious clone for Wuhan-1 strain and deletion viruses to characterize accessory protein function.
- Series of viruses that delete individual viral proteins and replacing them with fluorescent marker genes to allow for detection of the virus in cells easier. This will speed drug and antibody screening significantly, and gene function characterization in the virus both in vitro and in vivo.
- Cross-reactivity assessments planned/in progress. Testing anti-SARS and anti-MERS monoclonal and polyclonal sera for cross reactivity with nCoV live virus
IRTA-CReSA, Barcelona, Spain, Joaquim Segales
- MERS re-agents animal model in mice, possible larger animals
- Animal infection, transmission and reservoirs.
- At stage acquiring biosecurity & ethical permissions; propagating the virus to get a right inoculum. We expect pigs study, April 6th,
University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, TiHO, Germany, Ab Osterhaus
- Rapid antibody production and T-Cell response; Preliminary, using animal models
- Investigate MERS/SARS Cross-reactivity
- SARS-2/Corona virus vaccine-IgG-dependent enhancement, (ADE) prior to Phase-1. To test adverse effects and toxicity
- CEPI to support monkey models
New York University, Elodie Ghedin
- Covid-19 Supplemental flu transmission grant in collaborations with The GVN and University of Georgia using ferret animal models.
- New app-based, rapid, transportable, virus genome assembly program for field work