Robert Koch-Institut Centre for International Health Protection (ZIG), Germany, Dr. Heinz Ellerbrok
- PCR Primer Diagnostics and Probes & Controls
- Test regions: Nigeria-CDC, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Namibia
- Rwanda and Namibia-Diagnostics Training and receive WHO coordination
- Further, we support WHO WPRO in Manila and WHO Headquarters in Geneva with deployment of personnel.
Broad Institute, Harvard, Boston, MA, Pardis Sabeti
- Ran 19 Genomes via ADAPT computational software for PCR and SHERLOCK guide design.
- Sensitive, species-specific, multi-plexed SHERLOCK assay guides for the 5 previously sequenced human associated corona viruses against 186 human associated viruses with genome sequence data
- Training: sequencing and bioinformatics with the MASS DPS. Participants from 9 states taking course
- Developed ADAPT computational software for molecular diagnostic guide design. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.28.401877v1
- Developed a 1-pot CRISPR-based diagnostic test for SARS-CoV-2, SHINE. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19097-x
- Developed Sensitive, species-specific, multi-plexed CRISPR-based assay CARMEN, that could differentiate 5 previously sequenced human associated corona viruses and SARS-CoV-2 and can be used for all human associated viruses with genome sequence data https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2279-8
- In partnership with ACEGID, established diagnostics in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Senegal by February 2020, and supported national testing efforts.
- Established LDT at MGH and described needs to support more clinical labs rapid response to new viral outbreaks. https://jcp.bmj.com/content/early/2021/05/28/jclinpath-2020-207128 and https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2025173
- Developed a model that indicates that altruism is the best approach for diagnostic testing https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.16.21253669v1
- Training: provided sequencing and bioinformatics training for US departments of public health with the CDC and Massachusetts DPH, with participants from 8 states taking course
Wyss Institute at Harvard, Donald Ingber
- Low-cost, injection-molded nasopharygeal swabs developed and now commercially available internationally
- Ultrasensitive lab-based and point-of-care diagnostics for multiplexed detection of viral antigens and host antibodies being developed
- Detected anomalous false positive due to sensing experimental SARS-CoV-2 probes in academic research labs
- Assisted in generation of single cell transcriptomics-based tissue atlas for COVID-19 patients
- Engineered, SARS-CoV-2 pseudovirus. Collaborating with GVN (Number Centers/PIs)
- Covid-19 Human Lung and Intestine Chip Models established. Chip models set up in GVN Centers with technology purchased from Emulate, Inc. (com).
- Identified multiple inhibitors of viral entry (measured in this pseudovirus system) and host inflammatory responses (using influenza virus) in Airway Chips, including multiple FDA approved drugs
- Collaborate, Matthew Frieman, University of Maryland: installing Organ Chip instruments on his site for testing identified drugs.
- Chip models enabled repurposing of amodiaquine, which is now in clinical trials for COVID-19 in multiple sites across Africa
Si L et al., A human-airway-on-a-chip for the rapid identification of candidate antiviral therapeutics and prophylactics.
Nat Biomed Eng. 2021 May 3. doi: 10.1038/s41551-021-00718-9. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33941899
Robinson-McCarthy et al., Anomalous COVID-19 tests hinder researchers.
Science. 2021 Jan 15;371(6526):244-245. doi: 10.1126/science.abf8873.PMID: 33446547
Delorey et al. COVID-19 tissue atlases reveal SARS-CoV-2 pathology and cellular targets.
Nature. 2021 Apr 29. doi: 10.1038/s41586-021-03570-8. Online ahead of print.PMID: 33915569
Erica Saphire, La Jolla Institute of Immunology, La Jolla, California
- Funding: Gates, Wellcome and Mastercard
- mAB therapy clearinghouse for evaluation and delivery to determine IgG/IgM efficaciousness everywhere, including LDCs
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation supported consortium, CoVIC (covic.lji.org) analyzes the world’s leading therapeutic candidates side-by-side, and uses LJI’s powerful pair of Titan Krios microscopes for high-resolution analysis of the antibody interactions.
DUKE-NUS, Singapore, Linfa Wang
- Obtained several isolates. Setting up non-human primate, (NHP) Models
- SARS cross-reactivity/contamination in diagnostics work and IgG/IgM S Protein-based Serology tracing to detect 2 of the clusters
- Data reveals SARS IgG/M does not neutralize COVID-19, but cross-reacts; therefore, ADE is more acute then in other countries.
- Collaborations with Dr. Paul Young, (University Queensland).
- Fecal sample confirms new transmission route
- cPass-Rapid, serological, Ab test specifically for Nab
- Effective for tracking animal viruses and determining vaccine efficaciousness.